An update on the life and times of the Patik family.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Princess Posse

With two girls I knew what was eventually going to come my way...Princess Mania!  We love every princess, want to be a princess and dress like a princess at least daily.  With all these fairy tales in my day-to-day world, and an inquisitive 4 yr. old, I can't help but take another look at these fables and wonder what message it truly sends to my girls.

I want what most moms want for their girls; strong self-confidence, a loving home and family, courage to undertake anything they can dream of and the happiest of childhoods.  How does the 'princess posse' influence?

Each princess has come from a broken home.  Whether it is the loss of a mother (most common) or being locked away from family.  In the end it was a man that saved them but not without a major traumatic event to make it all worthwhile.  A poisoned apple, stuck finger on a needle, traded legs for a voice...well, you get the idea.

I am aware that life is anything but perfect.  And, in time, my girls will begin to learn this harsh reality also.  While they are young (and impressionable) I wonder how their minds interpret these stories.  I recently came across an article in a magazine speaking directly to this topic.  The author wrote about body image and expectations of life.  I'm not the only mom that wonders if the tale of a princess really has a stronger impact on life than we give credit too.

Maybe I over think and my girls are just enjoying dressing up in something beautiful and playing fairytale.  Heck, I still dream about it too.  There are days I'd give anything to have the animals around my house help out with some household chores! For now, we continue to play princess and surround ourselves in all that is magical about those girls.  I will  continue to encourage my girls for personal strength and self-confidence to get through those times of tragedy and to always walk tall no matter what happens in their fairy tale!

2 comments:

  1. To all the "Patik Princesses" ~~~ Couldn't ask for a better daughter, and I know she is doing the very best raising 2 wonderful little princesses! Fairy tales do come true...it happened to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I those the Little Princesses. They are so fun and outgoing. Didn't the kiss of a princess turn the frog into a Prince? Saved him from the mucky pond. deba

    ReplyDelete